Sunday, March 18, 2012

We must be mistaken.

We must be mistaken. by fangleman
We must be mistaken., a photo by fangleman on Flickr.

First ride of the year. Some years my first ride was January 1st. Recent years it wasn't until well into spring. I just don't ride like my younger years.

Still, it's March 17th, and I'm on the bike. Gorgeous day. Daffodils are blooming, bright, the air is comfortable, and the sun kisses everything warmly.

But I've noticed a few things. One, I felt like it was no time at all since my last ride. There was no readjusting. Man and machine worked together just like when I parked it last year.

But other riders seemed to change. I don't know if it's just because there is a lot of new riders, or maybe it's been happening slowly and I didn't notice. But only a few riders waved.

For decades I've waved to riders, they waved to me. Just an extended hand as we pass, a recognition that we are part of something different that cagers just don't understand. A camaraderie exists between riders, even as strangers. Where has this gone? Is it just me? Has anyone else the same experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment