Saturday, September 1, 2012

Macro with my E-M5

This isn't really a "test" or "comparison", so much as me just mixing things up for my own interest.  I bought Canon EOS to MFT and Nikon to MFT adapters.  I purchased these adapters to have fun, as much as I bought the Canon version specifically to mount the E-M5 to my very nice Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 lens.  I wanted "more zoom" with this lens, and this seems like a good idea and the E-M5 has in-body image stabilization to help with the effective 400mm focal length.  I'll be trying this combination at a baseball game soon.

Then I got this idea with the crop factor of 2x compared to full frame, the Olympus OM-D and my 100mm Canon macro lens would be a very nice combination.  Aside from my lack of ability to focus well maually - due to lack of skill and extremely poor eyesight, it seemed like a good idea!

What follows are some images shot on the OM-D, with different lens combinations and even a few shot on a Panasonic GF3.  The reader should note that the Canon adapter has no method to control aperture.  Therefore the aperture is always wide open.  The Nikon lenses I have all have an aperture ring on the lens, and therefore can control the aperture even on a micro four thirds adapter.

Clicking the image should open the original file in a new window.

First, one from the kit 12-50mm lens.

Here's the Olympus OM-D E-M5 paired with the older non-IS version of the Canon 100mm macro, wide open.


Nikon mount Sigma 70-210 w 10x filter:

Nikon 50mm prime with 10x close up filter:




















Canon mount Sigma 70-300mm:




















Canon 100mm Macro on a Panasonic Lumix GF3:




















Nikon mount Sigma 70-210mm with 10x close-up filter on Panasonic Lumix GF3:





















A few things are obvious.  One, the kit lens is not a bad macro package, especially considering that without focus peaking on the camera, manual focus is impossible for me to do well.  Also the 10x closeup filter is a big quality killer.

It isn't obvious from the images, but I also find I must have good auto focus on my cameras, though I believe the focus peaking like the Sony cameras would be a huge asset.  I also have learned again, that I still like my dSLR best.  Even if it is getting near antiquity now...









No comments:

Post a Comment